Some days, there is nothing like a hot rich beefy Shake Shack burger topped with melty American cheese squished between a soft potato bun. And, now you can make your own copycat version at home. At Shake Shack, the burgers are griddled, and if you have a backyard griddle, smash away! But you can achieve the same flavors using a hot grill too!
Makes 4 burgers
Grilling Method: Direct/Medium Heat
1 pound 80/20 ground chuck, brisket and short rib mix, or your favorite pre-formed burgers such as Pat Lafrieda, or Schweid & Sons pre-formed burgers
4 slices American Cheese
4 potato buns
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
Hamburger Pickle Chips, optional
Extra American Cheese, optional
4 crisp lettuce leaves, optional
4 slices ripe tomato, optional
ShackSauce, optional (see recipe below)
- Being careful not to over-work the meat, mix until just combined and gently divide the meat into four pieces of equal size.
- Make into a ball and flatten until it is about 4 inches in diameter. Alternatively, use Pat LaFrieda or Schweid & Sons pre-formed burgers.
- Preheat the grill with all burners on high and make sure that the cooking grates are clean. Once clean, reduce the heat to a medium direct heat.
- Using the Bamboozle Prep ‘n Serve, bring everything to the grill.
- Season one side of the burger with The Seasoned Pantry Fleur de Sel and Kampot Pepper.
- Place the seasoned side of the patty directly on the cooking grate and grill for 4 minutes with the lid down. Season the top of the patties and turn over to cook the uncooked side. Continue grilling 3 more minutes.
- Top each burger with a slice of cheese and cook 1 more minute with the lid down. Remove and let patties rest.
- Meanwhile, if desired, butter both sides of the rolls and grill the buns over Direct Medium heat until lightly toasted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately on the buttered rolls with optional ShackSauce, pickles, lettuce leaf, and tomato.
adapted from Shake Shack: Recipes & Stories
Makes a generous ½ cup
1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
¾ teaspoon Heinz ketchup
1/4 teaspoon kosher dill pickle brine, plus finely chopped pickles
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients in small bowl and refrigerate covered.